Friday, May 21, 2010

My first tutorial- Cupcake Baby Blanket

Here it is-- My very FIRST TUTORIAL!  Here we go:

Cupcake Baby Blanket Shower Gift

I have noticed these super sweet and yummy looking gifts quite a bit lately and decided that it was time to try and make one myself!  Here is what the finished product looks like:


1. Materials- baby receiving blanket (this is one that I made to sell in my shop, cellophane, rubber bands (I have NONE, so I used hair bands :) ), ribbons to match, large piece of cute scrapbook paper to match, scallop scissors (bought at Joann's on sale for $2.39!), transparent tape, ruler, and regular scissors.

2. Folding- I just tried several ways until I found what looked best.  Look at the following pictures to see how I folded.  Basically, I wanted a really long and narrow strip.  I folded lengthwise (hot dog style!) several times.



3. Roll it up!  Keep it tight.  It reminded me of rolling up a sleeping bag on old camping trips and sleepovers.  This flannel is MUCH easier. :)

4. Here is is all rolled up.  While you're rolling, play around with it.  You might want to roll it so that the outer edges are further down and the middle is raised (kind of like a cupcake!)

5. Secure with a rubber band:

6. Measure the height of your cupcake and then cut a strip of paper that is about half that size.  I traced with a pencil and then cut with my scallop scissors close to the pencil line.  Then, take that strip and wrap it around the roll and secure it with your tape. (confession- my paper was not long enough to all of the way around.  If this happens to you, you can do like me and just ignore that there is a gap in the back, OR you cut along the diagonal of the paper. I chose not to go that route because my paper had words on it.)


7. Finally, use your cellophane wrap and then tie it up with ribbons and a cute little gift tag.  I made my gift card out of some decorative card stock used for scrapbooking.  PRESTO!  An easy and cute gift!  Get ready for all of the oooohs and ahhhhhs at your next baby shower! :)

Variations: I've seen some with cute little crocheted strawberries or cherries on top of the roll.  If I'd had some, I would have done that!  Instead of cellophane, you can use shrink wrap.  I chose cellophane because it is cheaper and I don't mind that it isn't super tight.  Tulle is also a cute way to wrap up your cupcake.  You can also use a coffee filter to mimic a cupcake liner.  Might be cute to go between your paper wrapper and the blanket roll.  Be inventive- have fun! 

Check back next week to see how to make a little lollipop burp cloth gift!

2 comments:

baby gifts said...

I will be happy to make one for my friend’s baby shower. I will keep this in mind. Great tutorial, so glad you shared.

Bárbara said...

thanks!!!!!